Thursday, August 18, 2022

I'm Meeting Someone

In the early days of newspaper ad dating, I agreed to meet at guy at Sparky's in SF. We described ourselves to one another on the phone ahead of time. He was 6 feet tall, with dark hair and blue eyes; I said I'd be wearing a blue sweater.

At the time of the date, I went to the restaurant and ordered a coffee at the counter from the waiter, telling him that I was meeting someone there. A tall guy with dark hair came in and told the waiter the same thing had said - that he was meeting someone.

I asked, "Are you Paul?" He looked at me and said, "Nope." A minute or so later, he left. I felt the blood rush to my face, since I was sure he had just bailed.

I was working up my nerve to ask for the bill so I could leave, when another tall guy walked in. I didn't say anything.

The waiter studiously wiped the counter down.

The guy kind of cleared his throat and said, "Um. Are you Darcy?"

The waiter burst out, "Oh, thank GOD!"



No comments:

Post a Comment